Thursday, August 16, 2012

Open hands


Woke up to the heaviness of anxiety, exhaustion, and fear. My Bible fell open on this passage:

“Do not fear;
. . . let not your hands be weak.
The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zeph. 3:16-17)

I think I often want the fear rather than the peace. I want to be in control. I want to be allowed to feel sorry for myself, to wallow in poor me thoughts. 

But how can I believe God and wallow in fear at the same time? How can I listen to Him singing over me while clutching the dirty rags of faithlessness?

He does all the work. He comes, He saves, He rejoices. He sings. He quiets. He only wants me to do one thing:

Do not fear.

When I fear my hands become weak. Hands that should be serving Him are instead clenched in anxious fists or rubbing themselves in worry. 

Opening my hands requires letting go. 

If I truly believe He is big enough for these circumstances that overwhelm me, I should be lifting strong hands in praise, reaching out in service. I can only do so when my gaze is on Him and not myself.

Listen to His song of love for you today instead of to your fears. Will you open your hands to Him?

1 comment:

  1. Julie... how true your words are. I so needed to hear them this morning. Worry is all consuming. And I need to just let it go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete