Sunday, May 10, 2015

To the non-moms on Mother's Day

I’m so grateful to be a mom. And I’m so blessed to have a mother who has loved me and my children so very well, and a mother-in-law who loves me and adopted me right into the family.

But so many women do not share this experience. For so many of you, this day is one you dread. You don’t have children of your own, or you’ve lost a child, or your children are estranged from you. Or you don’t have your mom in your life.

I’m sorry.

I want to change this day and make it for all of you. Because you don’t have to be a mother to be a life-giver. And the children you raise up for the kingdom don’t have to be from your own body. What would our world be without the women who give life to those who are not their own? They make them their own. And they hold the world together.

My mom is amazing and wonderful, and I’ll always be grateful (thanks, Mom!).  But I’m also thankful to the many women who have poured life into me and my children in so many ways. Like the women who have mentored me, listened to me, and prayed for me. Like the women who have shown up at my house with a hot meal on a hard day. Like the women who have been such an example to me in the way they love others. Like the teachers who have encouraged me and spent hours instructing me. Like the friends and sisters who have poured into my kids, the older ladies who have adopted them as extra grandkids, the teachers who have led them and fed them and listened to them and just loved them.

I wouldn’t be who I am without you. My kids wouldn’t be the same without your love.

So many of you ladies struggling through this day? You are mothers ten times over, life-givers who have brought hope and healing to others. You’ve used your time and your money, your homes and your talents. You’ve opened your hearts and your arms. You’ve embraced hard people and difficult challenges. You’ve chosen to give without asking for anything in return.

Thank you.

We need you.


This day is for you, too.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I am stunned...in a good way. Thank you, Precious Friend, for writing and sharing this beautiful blog. It is worthy of saving and reading for all Mother's Days to come.

    ReplyDelete