Saturday, October 12, 2013

The way to abide, part 1


But we have to live life, right?

We can't just let go of all responsibility and go sit in the woods all day. Duty calls . . . endlessly, it seems.

How do we abide in the midst of it all?

I can't say I'm very good at abiding. I started this 31 day challenge mainly to challenge myself--and I quickly learned how little I knew. I'm no expert. But I'm learning from the experts. And here is what I have seen:

We need time with Him, every day.

I'm a mom with a job and three young children, and some days just swallow me up. I know busy. But I also know what happens when I am too busy for God.



I lose Him, and I lose my way. The busy takes over and I am carried along with it, and that is good for no one.

If you are too busy to make time for Jesus, then you are too busy.

We make time to feed and exercise our bodies, but not our souls? We make time for television, texting, and Facebook, but not for the One we claim is our life and breath?

All I know is this: those people who know God the best spend the most time with Him. Jesus Himself slipped away for hours of prayer, especially on His busiest days. Daniel, a government official (he had to be busy, right?), was known for making time for prayer not once, but three times a day. Moses left the people he served and spent days at a time with God. And the people in my life who inspire me most know Him because they are with Him daily. They are rooted in His word.

They are connected to the Vine.

One of my mentors taught me that there is always time, if we look for it and are faithful to use it. He always gives us a way to be with Him.

But we must choose it.

And the truth is, we fear that if we choose Him above the million other things clamoring at us all day long, those million other things will not get done. And so we choose those things instead.

What if you trusted God enough to put Him first?

On the days I choose Him (and those days are not often enough), He is always faithful to give me the time I need. Usually the time opens up in unexpected ways, and I get to be delighted by His gift to me. I get to see Him provide. He has never failed me in this.

It’s like exercise, or eating right, or breaking an addiction, or forming a new habit. We have to just begin. Maybe we begin small. But we begin. And we keep at it.

Come to Him. Even if you are weary. Even if you don’t feel like it. Even if it is for ten minutes, locked in your bathroom while the children pound on the door. Start small if you have to. But start. And just see what He will do.



Day 12 of Abide: 31 Days of Resting in Him


1 comment:

  1. Precious, you know of course that when l taught I learned that I had to get up at 4:45 to have my time with HIM. Otherwise, I was useless. The thing I love about being "retired" is my time with HIM. I call it "wallowing in the the WORD." The Lord and I do other things together that free my mind to pray for all of you - sculling on the reservoir, riding my bike or a walk on old highway. After my grizzly bear encounter, I don't hike much alone anymore :) Now I am challenged to focus my prayer life. It am so easily distracted, it is difficult to focus in prayer. But, it is my old lady challenge.

    ReplyDelete